This is a very adaptable recipe and can be as simple or not as you wish to make it. Add one variation or none at all. I really like the one-pot aspect for days when I Can’t Even. Bonus: it makes real good leftovers for when the Can’t Even lasts through the week.
- 1 potato
- 1-2 heads of broccoli, about 2 C when chopped
- 2 C liquid (stock, milk, water. See below)
- Flair (see below)
Zero Spoons broccoli and potato soup
- Chop your potatoes and broccoli (or not, whatever works)
- Cook the potatoes: microwave or boil or saute, anything that gets them soft.
- Add stock, water, or milk (whatever you have), add broccoli and cook for a few minutes, serve.
- Transfer everything to a blender, blend until smooth, and serve. If you don’t have a blender or food processor, don’t worry. Chunky soup is great too.
- Eat a handful of cheese out of the bag. If cheese makes it on top of, or into the soup, that’s ok too.
One Spoon broccoli and potato soup
- Chop potatoes, broccoli, AND ALSO onions, celery, carrots. If you only like having the onion you can skip the celery or carrots. Or chop the carrot and skip the onion and celery. You do you, boo.
- Add a little oil or butter in a pot then saute whatever veggies you chose together in the pot.
- Add stock, water, or milk (whatever you have), add broccoli and cook for a few minutes, serve
Flex Broccoli and potato soup
Everything above PLUS cheese, sour cream, chives, parsley,
This is one of my favorite simple, plated (read: fancy) salads. Just top salad greens (mix in some blanched kale if you like), with avocado and orange segments.
Simple citrus dressing:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- ½ cup lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, or any combination of these.
- Salt & pepper to taste (about ½ tsp each)
- Salad greens (1 head of lettuce or equivalent)
- 1 C kale, slivered and blanched (optional)
- 1 avocado
- 1 orange
To make the citrus dressing, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Zero spoons avocado and orange salad
- Toss salad greens, avocado slices, orange segments with as much dressing as you want.
One spoon avocado and orange salad
- Blanch a fistful of kale, sliced into strips across the leaves. Rinse in ice water and then drain.
- Toss salad greens with the dressing and arrange on a plate.
- Sprinkle the kale over top.
- Arrange slices of avocado and orange segments
Flex avocado and orange salad
- “Supreme” your oranges, by carving away the skin with a chef knife and then cutting out perfect orange segments. how to supreme an orange
- Prepare the one spoon version, but this time arrange the slices of avocado and orange segments, alternating across the top of your salad greens
- Top with freshly shaved cheese (pecorino, romano, or parmesan would go nicely), slivered almonds, a sprinkle of minced parsley, mint, or cilantro, and a twist of freshly ground black pepper
- Flaunt that beautiful healthy salad on your social media platform of choice. Look at you! You’re doing so well at quarantine self-care!